Name of Allah As-Samee' -The All-Hearing
Name of Allah As-Samee' (The All-Hearing)
Praise be to Allah, and blessings and peace be upon the Messenger of Allah, his family and companions.
Almighty Allah says
Allah alone is The All-Seeing, The All-Hearing
- Indeed, Allah hears every prayer.
* Almighty Allah tells us about Himself in the Quran that He is: "The All-Hearing, The All-Seeing," "The All-Hearing, The All-Knowing," and "Allah is Hearing and near".
Meanings and Denotations of Allah's Name As-Samee':
1- Almighty Allah hears everything no matter how low or even faint the sound is, Allah hears the secrets, confidential talking and faint whispers.
2- He hears all His servants regardless of their various languages, needs or conflicting and intermingled voices, so no voice distracts him from another, and no servant keeps him busy from another, He listens to all those who pray to Him.
* He knows the voices of his servants and He fulfills the needs of each of them without any mistakes, He does not give the request of one servant to another, He gives each of them what they asked for precisely without any confusion.
3- He hears prayers which means answering them.
4- Almighty Allah hears the believers, hearing them means giving them protection, victory and support.
5- When Allah hears the oppressors, it means warning them with the severe punishment He shall give them for their wrongdoing.
Almighty Allah says to His Prophets Moses and Aaron, Peace be upon them, that He is supporting them:
He said, ‘Do not be afraid, I am with you both, hearing and seeing everything.
Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "This means I hear your prayers and I answer them, and I see what is planned against you and I prevent it, I am not headless of what is happening, so do not be afraid."
* Almighty Allah hears the secret talking and exchanges of criminals who schemes against Muslims, He knows the count of their bad acts and prepare for them a painful torment without any doubts.
Almighty Allah says
Do they think We cannot hear their secret talk and their private counsel? Yes we can: Our messengers are at their sides, recording everything.
* Almighty Allah hears the talk of those who are blasphemous or disrespectful towards Him, Glory to Him! He is far above what they say!
Almighty Allah says
Allah has certainly heard the words of those who sneer, ‘So Allah is poor, while we are rich’. We shall record everything they say
- Hearing them means warning and threatening them with punishment.
6- Almighty Allah has made hearing, sight and hearts for people so that they hear and listen to the Quran and guidance and benefit from them.
7- But Allah has sealed the hearing, sights and hearts of those who turn away, He has made their ears deaf so they are unable to hear the truth because He knows that their hearts will not benefit from it, and they are not worthy or equipped to receive it.
8- The Quran is the word of Allah, it is not created, that means Allah, may He be exalted, spoke the words of the Qur’an, which Jibreel (peace be upon him) heard from Him, and brought down to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), and conveyed it to him.
All of the attributes of Allah, may He be exalted, are uncreated; they are eternal, with no beginning. The words of Allah are among these attributes, and that includes the Qur’an.
Almighty Allah spoke directly to Prophet Moses, peace be upon him. He will talk to the believers on the Day of Resurrection without any veil or interpreter. Almighty Allah will talk to the people of Paradise and bless them with His satisfaction.
9- The words of Allah are endless, they are the words of His attributes which prove His Greatness, the words of His commands which prove His Wisdom, and the words of His knowledge which prove His Might.
These words are countless, if all the trees on the earth were pens and the seas were ink, the words of Allah would not be exhausted. Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.
Say [Prophet], ‘If the whole ocean were ink for writing the words of my Lord, it would run dry before those words were exhausted’- even if We were to add another ocean to it
10- Ahl As-Sunnah affirm the attribute of hearing to Almighty Allah according to its meaning in the Arabic language.
11- Ahl As-Sunnah do not misinterpret the Divine attributes (interpret in a way other than their direct meaning), they do not liken Allah to His creation, they also do not distort the meaning or deny the Divine names and attributes. So they ascribe to Allah, may He be exalted, that which He has ascribed to Himself and that which His Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) has ascribed to Him.
12- Ahl As-Sunnah believe the same concerning all the Divine attributes, what applies to one attribute applies to all attributes.
* Almighty Allah hears as befitting to His Glory, His Hearing and Sight are not like ours, nor is His Knowledge.
Almighty Allah says
There is nothing like Him: He is the All Hearing, the All Seeing
Worshipping Allah by His Name As-Samee':
* Allah's Name As-Samee' obligates the Muslim to be careful of what he utters, as he is to be held accountable for anything he says. Accordingly, the Muslim should speak good or remain silent.
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported
: The Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon Him) said, "He who believes in Allah and the Last Day must either speak good or remain silent." .
1- Whoever is certain that Almighty Allah hears and knows his secrets and most intimate thoughts, let him preserve his tongue and never utter something that disobeys Allah. There is nothing needed to be held than the tongue, i.e. the more we remain silent, the lesser we utter sinful talking.
2- Whoever is certain that Almighty Allah hears him, let him utter only goodness, such as mentioning Allah, reciting the Quran, enjoining good acts and preventing bad ones, learning, teaching, advising the Muslim and promoting reform among people.
* Whoever recalls that Allah's Hearing and Sight are limitless as nothing is hidden from Him, not even an atom in the heavens or the earth, that Almighty Allah knows secrets and what is even more hidden, and He knows that which deceives the eyes and what chests conceal, will preserve his tongue, organs and even his inner thoughts from anything that might cause the dissatisfaction of Allah. His organs and limbs will be inclined to utter and do what pleases the Lord.
3- Remembering Allah by the heart is the biggest aim, remembering Him by the tongue is only to assist the heart, because remembering Allah by the heart is the mean to earn Allah's love and mercy.
The remembrance of the heart is to always love, fear, entrusting Allah and supplicating to Him, this would lead to more love from Almighty Allah. While the remembrance of the tongue and the heart is in a state of heedlessness does not qualify the servant for love or closeness to Almighty Allah.
4- You remember someone as much as you love him. So, as much as you love Allah you shall remember Him. Whoever feels attached to Almighty Allah shall remember Him and mention Him constantly, reciting the Quran, celebrating the Lord in every gathering and mentioning His blessings and glory.
5- Whoever remembers Allah in an assembly, Allah remembers him in an assembly better than his.
* If you reflect on the fact that Allah will remember you in the Highest Assembly, and that He will have mercy on you, praise you, elevate your rank and command the angels to praise you, you will constantly mention Him. If you feel that, this will lead you to loving Almighty Allah more and mentioning Him more. You will never cease to mention Him and your heart will never be occupied by anything or anyone other than Him.
6- Great acts of worship are obligated by Almighty Allah to remember Him and mention His Name, this shows the importance of the remembrance of Allah. Praying is obligated for the remembrance of Allah, so is Hajj and all acts of worship.
7- Swearing by something other than Allah is a kind of forbidden talking, because the one who swears by someone/something other than Allah is actually glorifying him/it, while the Only One worthy of glorification is Allah.
- So, it is forbidden to swear by fathers, children, the Prophet, the Ka'aba or any creature whatsoever.
Allah's Messenger, Peace Be upon Him, said
'He who swears by anyone or anything other than Allah, has indeed committed an act of Kufr or Shirk'.
8- The Muslim should not seek the praise of people or their attention while he is doing an act of worship because this abolishes his deeds.
9- The Muslim should make His hearing dedicated only to obeying Allah by hearing what benefits him, he should work hard to understand it to benefit from its guidance and respond to it to earn its blessing and honor.